Divorce, property, support, de-facto relationships, children adoptions
We know that the breakdown of a relationship can have a major emotional impact. We treat you with respect and empathy. SMP Legal barristers and solicitors can provide assistance with almost all the matters within family law.
When family and de-facto relationships break down you need effective representation to protect your financial interests and the rights of your children.
At the first conference, we find out what you want. We outline your options. We provide an estimate of legal costs. We keep you informed as your case progresses.Most people prefer a reasonable settlement to a knock down battle in Court. Our family lawyers are tough and skilled negotiators. We also use mediation and collaborative law.
Our experience includes the following:
- pre-nuptial and binding financial agreements, cohabitation and separation agreements
- divorce and nullity proceedings
- children’s issues: parental responsibility; access; protection and welfare/abuse/abduction issues; child maintenance and support; Children’s Court matters
- adoption, paternity/parentage issues
- spousal maintenance
- property orders including use and occupation of home, division of business assets etc
- superannuation and tax issues
- bankruptcy issues in family law
- urgent orders including preserving assets of the relationship, restraining flight from jurisdiction
- family trusts, unit trusts, and Corporations Act issues
- claims arising from contributions and agreements
- de facto relationships
- domestic violence issues
- wills and succession issues
- same sex relationships
- IVF/Donor Insemination issues